Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Playing Catch-Up: Part One of Many

Where to begin... I've been having a hard time deciding how to continue the blog, now that I'm [finally] on MAINTENANCE. I think I'll continue to post a combination of Decision Free, Healthy Solutions, and Maintenance-friendly recipes, and try to include ways of making the Maintenance recipes HMR-friendly whenever possible.

So now I have the dilemma of trying to recall and record everything I've been cooking in the past few weeks. So as not to overwhelm you, gentle reader, I'll try to post only a couple dishes at a time. And maybe, just maybe, someday I'll start taking pictures of my creations. Maybe.

Maple Brown Sugar Baby Carrots
(Replicated almost exactly from a recipe found at Diet Recipes Blog)

Ingredients:
1 bag (16 oz?) baby carrots
3 Tbsp sugar-free maple syrup
1 Tbsp Sugar Twin brown sugar substitute
1/3 cup water (may need less since SF maple syrup tends to be watery to begin with)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and simmer for about 5-8 minutes (until the carrots are crisp-tender).
3. Uncover and cook for about 5 more minutes (until the juices are reduced).
4. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Apple Bake
(Based on a recipe from Fatfree Vegan Recipes)

Ingredients:
1 large Gala apple, chopped
1 packet HMR Multi-Grain Cereal
1/4 cup Sugar Twin brown sugar substitute (I don't actually remember how much I used; I'm completely guessing)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg (I used 1 tsp, but it was way too strong)
1/2 cup water

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place ingredients in glass Pyrex bowl (I used the 1-quart size) that has been lightly sprayed with PAM and cover with foil.
3. Bake for about 45 minutes (until apples are soft).

4 comments:

  1. ALL OF THESE SOUND AMAZING EVEN THOUGH I AM AFRAID OF BROWN SUGAR TWIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could probably just use regular Splenda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For butt's sake, where have you gone?

    ReplyDelete